- Title Pages
- List of figures and tables
- Notes on contributors
- one Introduction
- two What we know, what we do not know
- three Research with children
- four Opportunities and pitfalls of cross-national research
- five Cultures of research and policy in Europe
- six Opportunities and benefits online
- seven Adolescents and social network sites: identity, friendships and privacy
- eight Young people online: gender and age influences
- nine Digital divides
- ten Risky contacts
- eleven Inappropriate content
- twelve Problematic conduct: juvenile delinquency on the internet
- thirteen Children and the internet in the news: agency, voices and agendas
- fourteen The role of parental mediation in explaining cross-national experiences of risk
- fifteen Maximising opportunities and minimising risks for children online
- sixteen Parental mediation
- seventeen Making use of ICT for learning in European schools
- eighteen Media literacy
- nineteen Conclusion
- Appendix A List of country codes
- Appendix B Children and parents online, by country
- Appendix C The EU Kids Online network
- (p.241) nineteen Conclusion
- Kids online
- Policy Press
This chapter summarizes the preceding discussions covering research on children and young people online, online opportunities, and online risks. It concludes by calling for more public debate over the opportunities for children. These are, perhaps surprisingly, often taken for granted rather than specified clearly, and when one or another advocate sets out their vision of ‘positive’ or ‘beneficial’ provision for children online, this is readily critiqued as adult centred, commercially biased, or elitist.
Policy Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.