- Title Pages
- List of figures and tables
- Notes on the editors
- Notes on the contributors
- One Introduction
- Two Unravelling the yarn of gentrification trends in the contested inner city of Athens
- Three Slum gentrification in Lisbon, Portugal
- Four City upgraded
- Five Confronting favela chic
- Six Rethinking gentrification in India
- Seven The prospects of gentrification in downtown Cairo
- Eight Widespread and diverse forms of gentrification in Israel
- Nine The endogenous dynamics of urban renewal and gentrification in Seoul
- Ten Value extraction from land and real estate in Karachi
- Eleven Gentrification in Buenos Aires
- Twelve Promoting private interest by public hands?
- Thirteen The making of, and resistance to, state-led gentrification in Istanbul, Turkey
- Fourteen Gentrification, neoliberalism and loss in Puebla, Mexico
- Fifteen Capital, state and conflict
- Sixteen Gentrification in Nigeria
- Seventeen Gentrification in China?
- Eighteen Emerging retail gentrification in Santiago de Chile
- Nineteen Gentrification dispositifs in the historic centre of Madrid
- Twenty When authoritarianism embraces gentrification – the case of Old Damascus, Syria
- Twenty-one The place of gentrification in Cape Town
- Twenty-two Conclusion
- Afterword The adventure of generic gentrification
redesigning and disciplining downtown Abu Dhabi
- (p.59) Four City upgraded
- Global gentrifications
- Policy Press
This chapter examines the policies causing the gentrification of Abu Dhabi’s city centre which are causing displacement of segments of the population. It is argued that although there are stark differences between the planning cultures of Abu Dhabi and those of cities in Western Europe or North America, there are similarities in how the ‘spatial fix’ is administered.
Policy Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.