- Title Pages
- List of figures and tables
- Notes on the editors
- Notes on the contributors
- One Introduction
- Two Unravelling the yarn of gentrification trends in the contested inner city of Athens
- Three Slum gentrification in Lisbon, Portugal
- Four City upgraded
- Five Confronting favela chic
- Six Rethinking gentrification in India
- Seven The prospects of gentrification in downtown Cairo
- Eight Widespread and diverse forms of gentrification in Israel
- Nine The endogenous dynamics of urban renewal and gentrification in Seoul
- Ten Value extraction from land and real estate in Karachi
- Eleven Gentrification in Buenos Aires
- Twelve Promoting private interest by public hands?
- Thirteen The making of, and resistance to, state-led gentrification in Istanbul, Turkey
- Fourteen Gentrification, neoliberalism and loss in Puebla, Mexico
- Fifteen Capital, state and conflict
- Sixteen Gentrification in Nigeria
- Seventeen Gentrification in China?
- Eighteen Emerging retail gentrification in Santiago de Chile
- Nineteen Gentrification dispositifs in the historic centre of Madrid
- Twenty When authoritarianism embraces gentrification – the case of Old Damascus, Syria
- Twenty-one The place of gentrification in Cape Town
- Twenty-two Conclusion
- Afterword The adventure of generic gentrification
‘gentrification’ – a global urban process?
- (p.1) One Introduction
- Global gentrifications
Hyun Bang Shin
- Policy Press
The introduction argues that this collection responds directly and forcefully to address the limitations of the current gentrification lens in ways that have not been attempted before. It critically assesses the meaning and significance of gentrification in cities outside of the usual suspects. The chapters and the mains themes of the book are outlined.
Policy Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.