- Title Pages
- List of tables
- Notes on the research methodology
- About the author
- Introduction The notion of the ‘top cop’
- One Cloning or culture? The selection and appointment of chief officers
- Two ‘The golden finger’: getting and keeping the top jobs
- Three The challenge of leadership in the police
- Four Oversight and chief officers' relationships with police authorities, directly elected police crime commissioners, HMIC and the Home Office
- Five On the nature of experience and exclusivity: the police ‘closed shop’
- Six The future of policing
- Postscript Police leaders and resignations
Policy Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.